2/4/16

ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) - a review

I hit low last year after I sold my notebook and some of my item to pay the bills and all, but now I bounce back. Everything is looking pretty well right now, and I have almost completely paid off all my debt. But I do still require a sort of personal computer to continue with my things - so I am looking for one and decided to buy one. Paid in instalment, and not quite sure how it will turn out, but I am pretty satisfied with my choice.

I might have been missing a lot of PC game-playing just by not having a suitable device from Q4 last year to early this year. That is why I thought I need to purchase one that could fulfil the requirements of the era of Next-Gen Gaming. The launch of MGSV, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and GTA V on PC - at least these are some games considered of current PC gaming... I think.

ASUS ROG probably one of the lineup I could chose easiest. At least for its class and service in my area (Indonesia - Jakarta), this one can survive quite long. Purchasing the one in the low-mid area of the high-end notebook, ASUS ROG G551JW suffice with the current game testing I need. I'm not going to describe long here or a bit too technical about it, but I have been using it for gaming and it is quite sufficient with my needs.

I am not a hardcore gaming, because let's just say I still am INTO Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge. Because let's face it, it is probably the best Red Alert 2 game before EA took over and minced over Westwood studios. But for some current game like Fallout 4 can be set to high setting with no problem - at least on 30-50fps can be achieved during gameplay.

There is however a problem for another game, such as Witcher 2 - yes, the prequel of Witcher 3 - on a high setting it achieve only around 20-35fps (probably) especially during camera turn. Now I said I am not going to be technical around here and I stick to it, because there is still a possibility to tweak the performance of the CPU and GPU - but since I just recently bought it, and with 5 more instalments to go, I am sticking to the vanilla version of my current laptop.

That all being said - I do enjoy this laptop. Due to dual graphics performance that is also supplied in the Intel motherboard, this one still sometimes mixing the performance with Intel GPU. Sometimes the valuation of the gaming performance would recommend you to play on low setting, and that is the only thing that bugs me (other than it is pre-installed with Windows 10 and requires some setting to do for privacy and everything else).

Overall - I am quite happy with this laptop. At least it supplied with my needs for work and gaming. Supplied with oddly 12GB of RAM, I installed VMWare for virtualising network configuration for my work and class and the shared performance still sufficient to both work at the virtual and desktop mode. I just wished at least this would stay suffice to the next 3-4 years :)

No comments:

Post a Comment