4/20/16

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - a late review


I have waited 2016 with such big anticipation. After last year we have been treated with some superheroes movie - and have been with the absence of DC release, this year it finally opens up with Batman vs Superman. It is much anticipated, especially since the trailer has been nothing more than going round and round of Batman vs Superman, and Suicide Squad. Dawn of Justice - we all know what that means, finally DC stepping up to the superheroes mash-up on the big screen. Or at least, moving on to that point... since well, it's Dawn of Justice - sorta like the teaser for the superheroes team.

Released in March 24th worldwide, I couldn't be more excited as it is just nearing my birthday. It seems like the studio, production, distribution, marketing, and whole other team has been sync up with the universe to present me with such a blessing to see the release of Dawn of Justice on my birthday period. It was all just a coincidence though, because I don't know any of the production team even on the distant relation, as well as they don't know me. So I guess I'm at least one out of the 7 billion people out there who wishes this kind of things.

However, since I wanted it to be perfect, I wishes to watch it on the most well deserved viewing option I could have, and that is on IMAX. For that though, I have to wait for the weekend to arrive - and it's a terrible idea.

Why? Not because of the weekend - but then I have to hear on the radio, see on the social media and reviews - and it crushes me to see how POORLY it received by the audience. I am one of the people who believes in rating - and it leads to the cancellation of my weekend IMAX experience of Batman vs Superman.

It is nearing a month after the movie has been released before I decided to watch it. On regular, weekday, no IMAX experience - I decided to watch Batman vs Superman on the theaters that still decided to put it up on their list. So I spend some 2 hours - maybe less, to watch of what I think the summarize of few Batman and Superman comic books into this feature length film.

It was NOT A BAD movie, but then I also realize why most reviews would score this movie poorly. Not getting ahead of myself, let's just break it down from the beginning. (I write this review almost a month of the movie release, so I won't say spoiler alert since well, I guess if you haven't watched it until now, then maybe you're not interested on watching it and wouldn't be bothered by the spoiler).

Batman vs Superman starts from Bruce Wayne - that famous story that has been repeatedly told about how Bruce become Batman. Nothing new here - because Bruce's parents died, told in a quite beautiful but quick story rendering, et cetera et cetera - but then we get to see some different angle of clip from Man of Steel, but focusing on Bruce Wayne. Ever since the thing that happened in Metropolis and Indian Ocean, Bruce gets angry, and Lex Luthor is in motion for his plot.

Along the movie we get to see how Bruce is becoming more and more edgy about the whole Superman, and Clark become more critical about Batman vigilance. We might see how this all has been plotted by Lex Luthor - who in this movie I sadly say is more like a successful Start Up owner rather than as intimidating business magnate tycoon.

With more plot here and there, it all sum up to Batman and Superman in the near end forming an alliance to fight another threatening plot developed by Lex Luthor - Doomsday. At this point, when Luthor says Doomsday, fans should know that it will lead up to (Not Spoiler Alert, Read Above Statement Again) Superman's death. We all know it - Superman is dead, stabbed by the bones formed by Doomsday.

Eventually, this made the world a better and happier place. Superman is dead, Bruce is without Luthor competition as he goes to jail, and Wonder Woman is there also - being independent and strong, just like how we see today's generation be. And just before the end, some dirt lift up from Superman's casket.

I summarizes the story as such because that's what I thought could be digested by the audience. And I think, this is not such a bad movie. Unlike the rating that gave this poor review, I gave it actually a moderate review. I'm interested with the new storyline generated, although at few point I rather annoyed by it.

But I understand why this got a poor review, and I think it relieving to know why. Ever since the success of The Dark Knight trilogy, people nowadays expecting a much better rebooted story from the original. I was actually among the skeptics who taught Batman Begins is an abolishment to Batman story, and more prefer to Tim Burton's Batman. It was not until I try to open my mind and saw The Dark Knight quite long after it released, and realized how it has been a great movie started by new cast and everything.

But then Man of Steel, directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan, gets a bumpy road after it release. Many has been criticizing it - and though I loved the movie, many aren't. Some reviewers even say that it is quite wrong to bring kids to watch that movie, only to see in the end that their idolized Superman snap the neck of General Zod and killing him.

The same reviews maybe also think the same in Batman vs Superman. The thing is - I think people just not ready to see Superman's character is rebooted. To err is human, and Zack Snyder tries to put the element of human in the new Superman character - but then Superman is not a human. Like many who idolizes him, he is a figure of savior. If Batman is the dark knight, Superman is a god-like in a shining armor.

Now we see him killing Zod, being manipulated by Luthor, fights Batman abruptly, and the worst of all - DEAD. Audience by general population must've been like - ease up Zack, give Superman a chance. And I think this is probably what scares the movie-goers, seeing Superman just have been viewed twice ever since the rebooted franchise.

For me, Batman vs Superman is a good movie. A great superhero movie in fact, the thing that I want to watch it again. But then there's Jessee Eisenberg's Lex Luthor that I just couldn't take seriously. Watching Lex Luthor in that movie is just exactly like looking at Jessee Eisenberg. I don't get the feel that it is Lex Luthor he was playing, and felt that it is Jessee Eisenberg tries so hard to play Lex Luthor. And I guess that's all my beef about this movie.

We are now living in such a fast development - and we can see how the new generation has been quickly absorbing the new lifestyle that we are getting harder and harder to catch up. We've seen may things nowadays has been rebooted or reintroduced into new form. Some we accept, some don't - and rebooted character Superman may be among the things may people don't want to see. I think it is great that people still want to see the Superman they once knew. We can imagine Superman in our mind as tall strong handsome man, who always looking up to the sky and smiling - watching all of us with kind eyes, swiftly catch us whenever we fall.

But we forgot one thing. Superman is a born Kryptonian who is raised by the care of Kent family to put humanity first. Superman is still raised as human - and is still just one person. Superman is god-like and most powerful, and putting humanity side in his character is just natural.


No comments:

Post a Comment