4/20/16

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer - original stormtrooper costumes? milking for merchandise?

So I just realized that Star Wars are releasing another movie for this December. And it is not the sequel to Star Wars series - it is a Star Wars Story apparently. You can see the trailer here if you're curious.


I just watched the trailer and it is good to see the familiar costumes and vehicles like they use in original Star Wars (episode IV-VI), only now it is in CGI - so expect more acrobatic and over the top movement sequence as we see the AT-AT walker performs backflip or cartwheel etc. Though very unlikely, I'm just saying that they could do that with their current resources. I mean imagine the pilot now using VR to control the AT-AT.

Anyway - I kind of lose interest since I think it was pretty rude that the production team is instead of releasing the episode VIII, they go with a spin-off starring Jynn Erso? I don't know how to spell the name, so maybe that's right. 

Now - I'm a casual fan of Star Wars, by which I watch all the Star Wars movie from episode IV V VI, and I II III, and now episode VII. Saying that, I don't really care the story outside the movie, like Star Wars Clone War cartoon series, Star Wars Rebels, nor the comics and novel. I only saw some clip like from the Star Wars game made by BioWare, but I never count it as the main references of my knowledge in Star Wars series.

So - I don't really understand what's happening with Rogue One. I think it is wrong to say I'm a little hyped to see all the original Stormtroopers costumes and war vehicle, but it goes only so to the point that I realize I don't know who the characters are.

I guess it's good to reminiscence, but I don't condone the milking that the production team make from Star Wars, and this is probably just the beginning. Using similar formula for Marvel movies, Disney probably tries to expand the characters of Star Wars to promote the B-list characters. Maybe I'm wrong, this probably either sink or launch.



Anyway, I'm already a sucker for the Star Wars merchandise, it's already a hobby of mine. With this additional another dark looking trooper and tan looking one, I don't know if I want to add it up for my collection. Looking forward to December, but maybe not for the movie - only as gimmick to see when there's nothing else to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment