8/14/15

Fant4stic - is it worth all the rant?


With the launch of rebooted Fantastic Four movie - or Fant4stic as the title in the poster is written - many review has been ranting about the movie. It's not that hard to spot, if you pretty much put fantastic four on the search bar on YouTube - you will see either the trailers or the rants. I haven't seen the movie then - but now I have watched it and I have got to tell you - I kind of understood why all the rants...

The rebooted story begins as the young Reed Richards had a vision of being the first to teleport and building the teleportation machine. It's not magical and all, he wanted to build it with science. After in need of some particular item, Reed befriends Ben Grimm. Several years later their project caught the attention of a foundation who then gives scholarship to Reed into building the experimental teleportation project. Along with the story we can see how Reed met Sue Storm, Johnny Storm and Victor Von Doom. In this moment - all the scientific as well as the montage of how the team bonds takes point converging into the making of the machine. They successfully made it, but then of course a plot takes it turn. Something went wrong with the machine and turns all the main characters into some kind of mutated people. They also bring along Ben Grimm who later become the Thing, which mainly just because to sync the storyline with the source.

That was the first half of the movie. If you think it's pretty anti-climatic well then it is. There were many great moments that this movie could've tried to deliver - but it failed. I have no idea why - the discovery of the teleportation machine, the encounter with Victor Von Doom (Before he became a villain), the montage of the team bonding building the machine, even their arrival at the new strange dimension - all of them felt pretty bland. I watched it and even though I understood the course of the movie, I just kept thinking "why isn't this the great moment? What happen?"

I'm not going to tell what the rest of the movie would look like, I'm not going to spoil it here, Wikipedia can help you with the plot. But for me, the first and the second half of the movie all felt the same. This movie struggle so much to runs smoothly - a standard they're aiming wrong. There are nothing building up the story into a point. And it makes this movie, just as most review said, boring. And I think it's a shame we felt that. I'm not a fan of Fantastic Four myself, but I am drawn a bit into feeling there are many moments in the movie that they could've elaborate more to a focus. As an audience, I'm intrigued with part of the story, but then the movie fails to deliver.

I like all the characters played here, as well as the actors and actresses. The new faces of live action Fantastic Four is looking better than before. The character played well and I like the more realistic version of Fantastic Four. That being said, once again the thing that make them Fantastic "Four" is reduced. There are no chemistry between each member of the team. Even Dr. Doom looks as a stranger and not a broken team member with the history or such. The team may look like they're being together - or maybe isn't? I'm not sure, because there are too many time leap going on in this movie.

Before you know it, you will see your watch (on your smartphone most probably as you browse the social media while watching this movie) and made a calculation on your head and realize that you're nearly at the end of the movie. This is the time when I think they should've make this movie longer, or not - I felt conflicted by my opinion here because this movie already leaves too many unsettling questions. At this moment, I watched all the action part of the movie which they already show it in the trailer (seriously, watched the trailer, and you pretty much have seen most of the action in the movie).

So I understand why this movie got so much rant. I like the science of the movie - but then again they didn't elaborate much on it. I like the look on the new Fantastic Four, but again they didn't elaborate on it. Dr. Doom earn its name in this movie by becoming a dark villainous character that you would scared to encounter... and shamefully this also has little (if not none) story of it.

If I have to rate this movie - I would probably gave the same rating just like everyone else. 1 out five stars, 2 out of 10, E- in a scale of A to F, you name it. Not because this movie is bad - but it fails terribly to generate the excitement throughout the movie. And when they have the chance to did it, it was already too late.

No, I will not recommend you to watch this in the theatre - I may just urge you to wait and see whether or not they release director's cut DVD for this movie. But even though it may or may not happen, I wouldn't cling on a hope that this movie will turn to better. It would be just too late - leaving you with bland taste and an empty feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment