8/6/15

It is thursday morning before I have to start working, and there's a trending topic in my country here (Indonesia) about some kind of registration to live on Mars.

As I heard on the radio on the way to work, I heard the news about living on Mars news that has been gone viral. So I checked and found the news here . Apparently the mission will took applicants ranging from 18-40 and (last I heard) only required to pay USD11. According to what I heard from the radio DJ, the applicants now have been going about 10,000 applicants from 100 countries.

I myself have not yet been thinking on living in another planet - but that thought actually challenged us to reshape our minds about changes most of us will encounter, right? For example my thought is, what would Internet be like in Mars? How fast will it be for Martian to access the Internet that the signal will be bounced around using waves from satellite to satellite? Do they still fulfil the service level agreement on that planet? Some silly stuff - but then I get to think about other stuff.

All things that usually have been mundanely we do in Earth will need another kind of adjustment there. For example - Mars length of day period is actually 40 minutes longer than Earth. I know that doesn't probably make too much of difference - but what about the year on Mars? It took 687 days for Mars to revolve around the sun. With our calendar - we actually have to (almost) double up the day of each of our month to synchronise the time. 

This will affect the clock time it use when we browse the Internet of course. We can compare it with the daily use we do for our activity, but how about crucial information such as bank transactional timing, or any other clock adjustment? I mean, human colony who will live on Mars, they have to adjust with the new clock over there right?

Of course there is actually a solution to synchronise it - after all we do living on Earth, and some countries even have different time region in it. The need of this of course happens only if communication establishment is required and actually needed. With the advancement of time,  they who adjust survive - and so with the technology as the support of our lives.

Well -  guess enough with my day dreaming - I think it's time to get to reality and actually start my work :) Maybe later I'll continue day dream about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment