1/29/16

S.H. Figuarts Shadow Trooper - or more like ebony Storm Trooper

I am a casual Star Wars fan. What it means is that I watched the movies, theater release, re-runs on HBO etc, I played few of the games occasionally, but no I did not follow the series, cartoon series, the novel, the fan fiction,  or anything. I just based my knowledge of Star Wars universe based on the 6 episodes George Lucas' made plus one (for now) made after Disney bought the Star Wars franchise. I am so sure there are countless other Star Wars casual and die-hard fan that actually learned until the depths of knowledge surrounding the Star Wars universe, but for me - as said above - I limit my knowledge from the world-wide release motion pictures. That being said, let's talk about one of the merchandise based on the Star Wars franchise released by Bandai Tamashii Nations.


So when I first knew about this figure, I somehow try to relate it with Dark Trooper as seen on PC game Star Wars Battlefront 2. I kept fixating on it - while I know that it is completely different. I don't need to describe what it is the Dark Trooper looks like - one thing for sure is it looks totally different than this one.

I don't really actually knew where this figure comes from, probably from one of the franchise that happens outside the motion pictures. With the help of Google of course, I can look a bit about this character.

Now, Shadow Trooper actually exist, and it has been quite spreading to other manufacturers that wishes to create the sculpting of this character. I don't know what the background story of Shadow Trooper, but one thing for sure is it definitely had quite some difference than the original Storm Trooper.



One example I look is one by Hot Toys on SideShow Collectibles. It may not look much different than Storm Trooper, but one thing is that it has small differences like the pad on the right shoulder, and few even got a different emblem mark on the left side chest, while others also includes different weapon used by the Shadow Trooper like a long blaster.

Not the same thing I see from what Tamashii Nations made for their S.H. Figuarts Shadow Trooper. If I didn't know any better, this one is just Storm Trooper painted black. Nothing more and less, and doesn't differ any much than its color with the Storm Trooper.

It is quite disappointing to see a new kind of action figure to play or pose, because it doesn't actually stands out than Storm Trooper. Perhaps the other thing that differs this version than the storm trooper is the box this figure cased into.




With packaging such this, there should be a special treatment for the figure itself to stands out more rather than just replacing the color. My suggestion when you have this figure is to try to look for another accessories that fit with this figure and start to remodel it yourself. See how you fit, and try to make it standout. Or perhaps, just buy one from another manufacturer like Hasbro's Dark Series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment