1/31/16

Terms and Conditions Apply - how online store is better than physical store

Sales and Marketing are what driven the product to make profit for the continuation of the company. We can't deny that it is actually affecting our lives, and that we live by the influence of good marketing and salesmanship. With the timeline, so these has adapt to more influencing our minds and way of transaction.

Promoting a product, especially in store showcase can sometimes drive us to make a deal of an item or not. With intriguing words and pictures, we sometimes felt like we're being hypnotized into taking an action. Words like "SALE 50% off" or "FREE for any purchase", can make an impulse decision that sometimes later we weigh on the regret and the value.

But of course those words are sometimes not as what they seem to be. Yes - I am talking about the meaning of the "*" behind every promotion word that mislead us. There are many word to describe it, but it usually means "terms and conditions apply".

Terms and Conditions apply may be sound great when facing with legal documents that require times for you to study before making any necessary action that leads to both party bonded by the transaction. This is sounds fair, but when promotion starts taking over to boost up sales, this too can be bent into the likings of the decision-makers.

One thing that happen recently is to cut the middle way through, store nowadays somehow just put a big promotion up front with terms and condition later explained if goes noticed. This is probably one of the cause why people hate doing transaction anymore.

It happen to me just today as I went into this Lego Store at Cilandak Town Square, Jakarta. Sine it is close to Chinese New Year, it is just appropriate for them to put up promotion of "Free Of Any Lego Purchase" with the picture of Lego Creator Chinese New Year Zodiac's Monkey. Being a customer there, of course I am curious about that promo. So I asked the store supervisor there and said that it is free with a purchase of a minimum amount. There it is - the first term and conditions.

I did a quick math on my head and apparently my purchase will earn me that free Lego Creator's Monkey. Because I already did ASK - and the term and condition is just for the minimum amount of purchase. SO there I was completing the transaction, when then the cashier told the SECOND terms and conditions. Apparently the minimum amount is for SELECTED ITEMS only.

One thing for sure is that I will NEVER go to that LEGO STORE AT CILANDAK TOWN SQUARE JAKARTA again in purpose. I even felt it was more of bargain for me if I buy in e-store such as TOKOPEDIA (www.tokopedia.com). One thing I didn't like is how the store supervisor is badly managed the whole situation, instead of apologizing for giving such a misleading info, he instead defending the condition of the promo in which he failed to inform completely.

This is why I prefer online store. They at least put the terms and conditions on writing. There is a page that they wrote long and in difficult words, but at least we have the option to read it first in order to agree with the terms and conditions. Even if they put a wrong remark that they couldn't deliver later, we have the option and opportunity to capture the misleading text information and bring the case to the administrator of the e-store.

People should be aware of this -  I mean online store, it is like a building. You need to plan before you take an action, because your action can later be brought as evidence of what failure of act could lead in the future. Of course there is a tolerance of the failure -  but once you put it in writing, it bond with the condition you have with your store.

I think this should be publicly known.


No comments:

Post a Comment